This year, I’ve only listened to 21 albums. There are new albums by bands I like or want to try out that I haven’t gotten around to yet. So I can’t comment on whether the new Trivium, ‘Bodom, ‘Amarth, Carcass, Annihilator, Gamma Bomb, Soulfly, Helloween, Stratovarius, Powerwolf, Haken, Amplifier, Karnivool, Leprous, Tesseract, Circles, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Frattelis, Five Horse Johnson, Vista Chino, Motorhead, (or whoever else) album is good and whether or not its better than any of these.
This is essentially the albums I’ve listened to in order of preference.
KingcrimsonBlog Album Of The Year List 2013:
1. Protest The Hero – Volition
2. Queensryche w/ Todd La Torre – Queensryche
3. Clutch – Earth Rocker
4. Bring Me The Horizon – Sempiternal
5. Coheed & Cambria – The Afterman Descention
6. Riverside – Shrine Of New Generation Slaves
7. Killswitch Engage – Disarm The Descent
8. Hatebreed – The Divinity Of Purpose
9. Monster Magnet – The Last Patrol
10. Arctic Monkeys – AM
11. Five Finger Death Punch – The Wrong Side’ Vol 1.
12. QOTSA – …Like Clockwork
13. Deep Purple – Now What!?
14. Red Fang – Whales & Leeches
15. Black Sabbath – 13
16. Babyshambles – Sequel To The Prequel
17. Five Finger Death Punch – The Wrong Side’ Vol 2.
18. Megadeth – Supercollider
19. Soil – Whole
20. Chimaira – Crown Of Phantoms
The only other album I’ve heard is Frequency Unknown, so it would be at 21, but 21 is not a commonly used number for AOTY lists, so I can’t include it. Its not me cheekily slighting it, I just heard better albums than it in my own opinion but didn’t hear enough to make a good number for the list, eg. 25, 50 etc.
Queensryche’s comeback was number one almost the entire year since it came out, and just got beat out at the last minute by Protest the Hero releasing Volition (‘Mist’ ‘Underbite’ ‘Skies’ and ‘Plato’s Tripartite’ are genuinely magical songs). Arctic Monkey’s AM was actually a massive disappointment but it really slowly grew on me and I went from disliking it to really liking it over a very long time.
Hard to know how I’ll feel about 2013 in a few years time when I’ve got around to hearing more from it, but for now, this is the albums I’ve heard rated by how much I like them at this precise moment.
See you next year.